Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Stuck in Delaware

I've finally relented and decided to start a blog. Everyone has been telling me to get busy on it so now that I'm unemployed (temporarily), I have a little bit of time to work on it.

Since this is my first post to my blog, I need to enlighten you to my status and how I came to be where I am now. I've had several lives. First was my Air Force life where I used to be a flight engineer on the C-5's. That ended in 1992. Then there was my restaurant owner life that ended in 1995. Then there was my Delaware State life that ended last month. I had three mini-lives at DSU. First there was sports information, then IT, and then bowling. It was the bowling that precipitated my demise. THAT will be another blog post saved for another day. I've been married three times and even though I've had a boyfriend for over a year, I have no plans on doing it again. So now you have a bit of background and I'm going to start from here.

Oh, you probably should know some of the characters who will show up regularly in my posts.
David - Boyfriend
Rick - Ex-husband #1 who lives in Mississippi
Shane - Son who lives in Kansas with his wife Catherine and son Lucas
Bob - Ex-husband #2 who lives down the road from me
Ken - Ex-husband #3 who lives in Baltimore
Tammie - Sister who used to live with me till I lost my house
Dennis - best boss I ever had

For the last month, I've been living in my driveway as I try to sell my house. After a month on the market, I got an offer last week and now the realtor sign in my front yard has SOLD on it. So that's a good thing since the money is running out. It's been quite an adventure since I lost my job so I'll have lots to blog about. People have told me I could write a book about my life. I think I'll just blog about it instead.

Here's an observation. Isn't it interesting that someone with no job can buy an brand new 07 Winnebago Outlook motorhome and a new 08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid? Isn't that cool? I think I just managed to squeak the credit check in before they found out I was out of work. So here's the funny thing -- I can buy over $100K worth of vehicles but I can't get a cell phone without a $500 deposit. That makes no sense. I've had a prepay account with Verizon for years now but finally shut it down to switch to Consumer Cellular last week. So now I have a real cell phone bill. How about that. If any of you want to make the switch, be sure to use my name so I can get the $10 off my next bill. (You get $10 off too.)

I've been selling everything I own for the past few weeks. I'm getting down to my last yard sale this weekend and after that it's all going to Goodwill or the dump. It took me a couple weeks to get into the mindset of getting rid of all my possessions that I'd worked so hard to acquire. David, bought my plasma TV and my leather furniture. His living room now looks like a real living room rather than a bachelor pad. I sold all my Magic cards down in Roanoke, VA. My Magic collection was pretty hard to part with. Ken and I spent years buying boxes of cards and we played quite a bit until he got tired of losing. If you ever go to Star City Games, be sure to tell them 'hi' for me. They are good people.

So I lost my job and after taking a quick look to see what was out there where I could make the same kind of loot I was before, reality set in. I need to sell my house. THAT pissed me off because that was something else I had knocked myself out to get and keep. (Another blog story) But what can ya do. The salesman who sold me my motorhome told me about a guy he knew and that's who I went with to put my house on the market. Ken and I had gone camping in our 5th-wheel many times and I loved it so I decided to just get rid of everything and go full-timing. All I have to do is make enough to pay for my truck and motorhome and if a person with a degree can't do that, then I got serious issues.

So many people have told me, "I wish I could do that." It's easy. Just lose your job and the decision is made for you!

Well, I have other stuff that I need to get done so I'll continue the saga later.

No comments: