Sunday, April 29, 2007

Yard Sale Queen

I'm starting to get good at this yard sale stuff. It's easy when you have to get rid of everything.
Potential buyer -> "Ten dollars! For this???" (as they point to a $175 hardly used work bench)
Me (thinking 'You cheap bastard') -> "OK, eight bucks."
"Five."
"Seven."
"Six."
"Done."
Jeez. But, hey, I'm in sell mode. I've managed to sell all my furniture except for the coffee tables. Everyone loves them but I get the feeling they are just too big for most folks. But I still have a few more days yet and I'm hoping the ad in the News Journal will work. I sold the bedroom suite to Jason, the guy who bought my house -- for a song. But at least I don't have to mess with tearing it apart and it's a mother bear to take it apart. So much easier to just leave it there.

The State News pissed me off because they didn't run my yard sale ad in the weekend papers. Said they never received it. Well it never bounced so it must have gone into classified LaLa Land. I should have followed up on it Friday but I got sidetracked and it was almost closing time when I finally got a chance to call.

Me -> "Hi, I thought I'd check since you never called to get my credit card number for my ad."
DSN (after putting me on hold to look for my email) -> "We're sorry Ms. Andrejak, but we never received the information for you ad...."
Me -> "Well can you get it in Sunday's paper??"
DSN -> "No ma'am. The earliest we can get it in for you is Tuesday."
Me -> (silently) $#%@*& "So what you're telling me is I'm screwed for my yard sale this weekend."
DSU -> "I'm terribly sorry ma'am."
Needless to say, the customers were pretty thin. But I put a couple strategic signs at the intersection up the road and it helped but business was way better last weekend.

When Jason and his parents came to the house today they stayed for a little over an hour. His dad wanted to get cozy with the spiders and snakes and have a look under the house. When he was done, I asked him if everything looked ok and he said he didn't see any issues. He better not. The house is only seven years old...

Anyway, the living room, dining room and den are empty and it's starting to get to me. I really loved my house and seeing it like this reminds me of when I bought it. Except the carpet is more worn. I really don't need to be in Florida until the 14th but I'm leaving right after the Parkview Rally this weekend because I don't want to come back. It's really painful for me. I had so many plans for this house and I was so close to getting it the way I wanted for when I retired. All I had left were the glass skylights that opened and the decks on the front and back. After that, I would be flower garden girl. So having to sell the house and all my stuff has been pretty difficult for me. I'm sorry but I'll admit to being materialistic. It probably comes from not having much of anything growing up. My folks worked hard and they did the best they could but I'll never forget my mom sewing me dresses out of material from flower sacks when I was in the fifth and sixth grade. So, yeah, I prized my possessions and I'm not ashamed of it. I had my leather couch and chair, my plasma TV, my stone coffee table, my Dell computer and I was all set. So it took me a few weeks to convince myself that I needed to sell it all to other people.

So now it's almost all gone. The house is almost empty. I know they say you can't take it with you but damn. This pretty much sucks.

And that's why I can't wait to leave Delaware. This is a great state but now there are too many bad memories. Three divorces, two major career changes, and one lost house.

I'm going to try the stupid State News one more time tomorrow morning to see if they can get it right for Tuesday:
Yard Sale.
Everything a dollar or less.
Everything free on Wednesday morning if you can beat the trashman.

No comments: